The ONE and ONLY Lunar New Year Tour in Hong Kong – Shatin Edition
Embark on a cultural journey with our upcoming Lunar New Year tour in the vibrant heart of Hong Kong. Join us on:
- Price: HKD$ 680
- Group Size: 3-8
- Transportation: Walking and hiking
- Meeting Point: Shatin MTR Exit B
- Hosted in English
- Time: 10:00 am – 2:00 pm (3.5 – 4 hours)
- Expertly led by a licensed guide and the owner of @explore_hongkong.
- The tour includes Chinese Lunch at the oldest restaurant in Shatin, which is also Bruce Lee’s favourite!
- Hosted in English.
Many Shops and restaurants are closed during the Lunar New Year, but it doesn’t stop Angel from exploring Hong Kong! Join her this Lunar New Year so you can experience the vibrant festivities and traditions of this auspicious occasion. Angel, an experienced licensed guide and the owner of the renowned @explore_hongkong Instagram page, will takes you on an unforgettable journey through the New Territories.
The tour will take you to the Ten Thousand Buddha Monastery, where you will embark on a refreshing hike and be mesmerized by the sight of thousands of Buddha statues adorning the path. Keep an eye out for monkeys, believed to bring good luck in the Year of the Dragon.
Following the hike, you will enjoy a delicious lunch at the 85-year-old hidden restaurant, where you can savour a range of dishes, including the famous chicken congee and roasted pigeon. This meal not only nourishes the body but also immerses you in the history and flavors of Shatin.
To conclude the tour, Angel will lead you to Che Kung Temple, the most popular destination for locals during the Lunar New Year. Feel the vibrant atmosphere as you seek blessings of good luck and fortune for the Year of the Dragon.
Don’t miss this unique opportunity to celebrate the Lunar New Year like a local in Hong Kong. Join Angel on this unforgettable journey and usher in the Year of the Dragon with joy, prosperity, and good fortune. Kung Hei Fat Choy!
- Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery: Hike the 500 steps! You might be able to see Monkeys along the way too!
- Lunch at 85-year old hidden restaurant: Chinese lunch at the oldest restaurant in Shatin, known for its rich history and as Bruce Lee’s favorite spot.
- Che Kung Temple: This is the MOST popular and luckiest place for locals during the Lunar New Year
Embark on a Culinary and Cultural Extravaganza! Join Explore_Hong Kong’s Lunar New Year Tour – Sham Shui Po Food and Shopping Edition!
- 20th April 2024 (Saturday)
Time: 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Group Size: 3-6
Meeting Point: Sham Shui Po MTR Station Exit C2
Transportation: Get ready for a vibrant adventure with walking as your mode of exploration!
Get Ready for an Unforgettable Experience in Sham Shui Po!
- Expert Guidance: Led by the licensed guide and owner of the renowned 120K Instagram page, @explore_hongkong.
- Foodie Paradise: Indulge in a feast at multiple local hotspots, including 2 Michelin-recommended restaurants. Skip the lines and dive straight into the heart of Hong Kong’s culinary scene!
Hosted in English – All Aboard for an Epic Lunar New Year Celebration!
Join Angel from @Explore_hongkong on a delightful food tour of Sham Shui Po, where you’ll experience the rich culinary heritage of this vibrant neighborhood. Begin your day with a traditional Hong Kong-style breakfast, savoring bowls of congee with delectable toppings and a steaming cup of fragrant milk tea. Explore the hidden gems as we visit charming tea houses and herbal tea shops, sampling revitalizing herbal concoctions. Delve into the history of Sham Shui Po at the oldest family-run tofu factory, witnessing the traditional tofu-making process. Finally, indulge in street food delights by feasting on Cheung Fan, a local favorite, and conclude the tour with mouthwatering dim sum at the Michelin-recommended Tim Ho Wan, where you’ll savor delectable dumplings and other classic Cantonese dishes. Embark on this culinary journey through Sham Shui Po and discover the authentic flavors that make this neighborhood a true food lover’s paradise.
- Sham Shui Po Market Magic: Wander through one of the largest street markets, where you’ll handpick Lunar New Year decorations with the help of your guide. Spice up your home with the perfect festive flair!
- Time-Travel at a 40-Year-Old Printing Shop: Uncover a hidden gem in Hong Kong – a printing shop with four decades of history. Learn to read a Chinese Calendar, unlocking the secrets of 2024’s fortune on each date.
- Foodie Paradise: Brace your taste buds for an explosion of flavours at Michelin-recommended restaurants. Immerse yourself in Hong Kong’s culinary excellence!
Limited Spots Available – Secure Your Seat for a Culinary and Cultural Spectacle!
Join us on a group tour for this annual Cultural festival at the charming Aberdeen Harbour to experience the Dragon Boat Festival like a local! Aberdeen Dragon Boat Race is one the oldest and most traditional in Hong Kong, with more than a hundred year of history.
Learn about the history and traditions of the Dragon Boat Festival, watch the Dragon Boat Race ON A SAMPAN fishing boat, try the traditional Cantonese Rice dumplings prepared by a local auntie and MORE! Let’s explore Hong Kong like a local!
Secure your place by booking on or before 20th May!
Date: Monday, 10th June 2024
Price: HKD$ 530 (Adult)
HKD$ 380 (Children between 5 to 12 years old, must be accompanied by an adult)
Transportation: Walking and Sampan ride on Aberdeen Harbour
Meeting: Lei Tung MTR station, Exit A1
Time: 9:00am to 11:00pm and 12:30pm to 2:30pm (two sessions x 2 hours)
Inclusions: Expertly led by licensed guide and owner of the 131K-instagram page @explore_hongkong, the tour includes a Sampan ride on the Aberdeen Harbour and 1 food stop for traditional Dragon Boat Festival Rice Dumplings and drinks.
Exclusions: Public transportation
- 45-min Sampan ride on the Aberdeen Harbour with Captain Ten, a local fisherman in Hong Kong!
- Story and traditions of the Dragon Boat Festival in Hong Kong
- Visit the 250-year-old Hung Shing Temple, which has kept people living on boat safe for centuries!
- The Shui Yuet Temple, Ap Lei Chau
- History of Ap Lei Chau and Aberdeen, the birthplace of Hong Kong
- Enjoy a Cantonese Rice dumplings made by local aunties!
- We have prepared a Dragon Boat Festival souvenir for you!
This is a tour where you can appreciate the nature, learn about the history and culture of Hong Kong and experience the life of local fisherman all at once!
Join us on an inspirational group tour, exploring Aberdeen, the cultural birthplace of Hong Kong. This includes Ap Lei Chau, the fourth most densely populated island in the world. During the 3-hour tour, we will be on foot and take a traditional wooden sampan fishing boat, and dive into the harbour’s history.
Enjoy a bowl of boat noodles, traditionally prepared by local fisherman, whilst enjoying the beautiful view of the Aberdeen Harbour on a sampan. You would be able to take photos in front of the iconic Hong Kong Floating Restaurant.
We will then visit one of the oldest public housing estates in Hong Kong to learn about the history of public housing development and understand more about how one-third of Hong Kong population live their lives in this second most expensive city in the world. A small hike around the area allows us to see the hundred-year-old waterfall and the seashore shrine which houses thousands of statues of Gods and Goddess, guarding people in the area for decades.
Let’s explore Hong Kong with us like a local!
Walking and Sampan ride on Aberdeen Harbour
Lei Tung MTR station, Exit A1
11:00am to 2:00pm & 2:30pm – 5:30pm (3 hours)
Expertly led by licensed guide and owner of the 116K-instagram page @explore_hongkong, the tour includes a 30-min Sampan ride on the Aberdeen Harbour and a bowl of traditional boat noodles* and local food in one of the oldest cafés in Hong Kong!
- Explore Aberdeen, the birthplace of Hong Kong. Learn about Aberdeen’s earliest role as a vital port of trade, incense manufacturing and fishing.
- Explore Ap Lei Chau, the fourth most densely populated island in the world, including the culturally significant Hung Shing Temple and Shui Yuet Temple
- Continue the journey on a Sampan and take photos in front of the iconic Hong Kong Floating Restaurant.
- *Enjoying a bowl of traditional boat noodles on a Sampan
- Learn how important the God and Goddess of the Sea are to fishermen in Hong Kong
- Visit one of the oldest public housing estates and understand about how one-third of Hong Kong population live their lives in this second most expensive city in the world.
- A small hike to see the hundred-year-old waterfall and the seashore shrine which houses thousands of statues of Gods and Goddess, guarding people in the area for decades.
- Visit one of the oldest Hong Kong cafés for local snacks and drinks
*tasting might change due to availability
Tour code: CHISABERDEEN6
We also provide this tour virtually if you are unable to join in person. Check it out here.
Discover the Magic of Hong Kong Lunar New Year Tour – Mong Kok Street Market Edition
Embark on a cultural journey with our upcoming Lunar New Year tour in the vibrant heart of Hong Kong. Join us on:
- 20 January 2024 (Saturday)
- 28 January 2024 (Sunday)
- Price: HKD$ 398
- Group Size: 3-10
- Transportation: Leisurely walking
- Meeting Point: Mong Kok MTR Station Exit C4
- End Point: Flower Market, Prince Edward
- Time: 10:00 am – 12:30 pm (2 – 2.5 hours)
- Expertly led by a licensed guide and the owner of @explore_hongkong.
- Indulge in the flavors of the Lunar New Year with a variety of snacks.
- Hosted in English.
Gain insights into the Lunar New Year traditions with Angel from @Explore_hongkong, a renowned Hong Kong travel influencer with a dedicated following of 128K. Angel will take you to the spots her family frequents to prepare for the Lunar New Year, providing a comprehensive guide on how locals celebrate. Ask her all the “whys” about the Lunar New Year and become an expert on the subject. Let’s Explore Hong Kong like a local!
- Mong Kok Market: Immerse yourself in a local fresh market, your one-stop-shop for the Chinese Reunion Dinner essentials.
- Timeline of Local Traditions: Discover the complete process of local Lunar New Year preparations.
- Guide to Lunar New Year Flowers and Snacks: Uncover the significance and variety of Lunar New Year flowers and snacks.
- Dim Sum Delight: Visit @explore_hongkong’s favorite Dim Sum restaurant in Mong Kok.
- Lunar New Year Greetings: Learn the top 5 greetings to increase your Lai See (red envelope) haul in the Year of the Dragon.
- DOs and DON’Ts: Ensure good fortune in the Lunar New Year with a guide on customs and traditions.
Discover the Essence of Lunar New Year in Hong Kong!
Embark on a guided journey through the heart of Hong Kong’s Lunar New Year preparations with Angel, the passionate owner of @explore_hongkong. As a licensed guide, she shares her family traditions and insights with her 128K devoted followers. This immersive experience includes:
- Dim Sum Delight: Indulge in a dim sum break at a charming old tea house, savoring traditional dim sums and sampling diverse New Year snacks along the way.
- Insider’s Knowledge: Learn the ropes of Lunar New Year preparations from a local perspective. Angel will guide you to the places her family frequents for their New Year essentials, making this a comprehensive journey into the heart of local customs.
- Lai See Etiquette: Unravel the mysteries of giving and receiving Lai See. Discover the significance of the practice and gain valuable insights on how much to give and to whom.
- Q&A with Angel: Have all your Lunar New Year curiosities answered by Angel. From the “WHYs” behind various traditions to becoming a Lunar New Year expert, this tour promises a wealth of knowledge.
Highlights of the Tour
Explore key landmarks and experiences that make this Lunar New Year tour unforgettable:
1. Dried Seafood Market: Delve into the world of Chinese reunion dinner ingredients, exploring the symbolism behind the most expensive components.
2. Chinese Temple Visit: Understand the cultural significance of locals visiting a temple before Lunar New Year, gaining insights into age-old traditions.
3. Lunar New Year Market: Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of one of Hong Kong Island’s busiest markets. Learn the art of selecting the best decorations and snacks for a festive celebration.
4. Lai See Mastery: Receive expert guidance on the art of giving and receiving Lai See. Learn the top 5 Chinese New Year greetings to enhance your interactions.
5. DOs and DON’Ts Guide: Ensure good fortune in the New Year by understanding the cultural do’s and don’ts. Angel’s expertise guarantees a seamless and auspicious celebration.
- Dates: Sunday 14th January, Sunday 21st January & Saturday 27th January
- Price: HKD $680
- Language: English
- Duration: 4 hours (dim sum lunch included)
- Meeting Point: Sai Ying Pun MTR Station Exit A1
- End Point: Wan Chai Market
- Transportation: Public transportation (Please prepare your Octopus Card)
Join us on this enlightening adventure as we Explore Hong Kong like true locals, immersing ourselves in the rich tapestry of Lunar New Year traditions!
Lantau Island Car Tour: Discover the Hidden Treasures
Comfort, Convenience, and Exclusive Access
- Make the most of your visit by taking a Lantau car tour with your very own driver and guide.
- Enjoy door-to-door service, collecting you from and returning you to your hotel, airport, or cruise ship, ensuring a seamless and memorable day out.
- Experience comfort and convenience as we navigate Lantau Island’s attractions in a private car.
Choose from our car options:
- Premium Toyota Alphard: Ideal for groups of up to 5 passengers, offering spacious and luxurious travel.
- Luxury Mercedes V-Class: Perfect for larger groups of up to 6 passengers, providing a sophisticated and comfortable ride.
- Benefit from our exclusive license to access the restricted zone of Lantau Island, offering unique opportunities not available with other tour companies.
- Our knowledgeable and friendly guides, fluent in English, will ensure you make the most of your time in Hong Kong.
Flexible Itinerary and Tailored Experience
- Choose from a variety of options to include in your itinerary based on your interests and time constraints.
- Enjoy the flexibility to customise your tour and create a personalised experience.
- If you have a specific destination in mind that is not listed, simply inquire, and we will do our best to accommodate your request.
Lantau Island Attractions: Unveiling the Gems
1. The Big Buddha: Visit the iconic Big Buddha statue and Po Lin Monastery.
- Explore the importance of Buddhism and its representation in the hearts, minds, and belief system of the people of Hong Kong.
- Ascend the 268 steps to the Tian Tan Big Buddha, a magnificent statue rising 34 meters into the air, offering panoramic views and attracting pilgrims from across Asia.
2. Tai O Fishing Village: Immerse yourself in the charm of the traditional fishing village.
- Wander through stilt houses inhabited by fishermen and their families.\Experience the relaxed atmosphere and slow pace of life in one of the best-preserved places in Hong Kong.
Additional Options to Enhance Your Experience
- Ngong Ping 360 Cable Car: Take a breathtaking ride on the Ngong Ping 360 cable car, offering stunning views of the landscape surrounding the Big Buddha.
- Cheung Sha Beachside Lunch: Indulge in a delightful beachside lunch at Cheung Sha, savouring the flavours of Hong Kong.
- Tai O Waterfall and Rock Pool: Discover the natural beauty of Tai O with a visit to the waterfall and rock pool, immersing yourself in the tranquility of the surroundings.
- Hong Kong DolphinWatch Experience: For nature enthusiasts, embark on the Hong Kong DolphinWatch experience and encounter these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat.
Unlocking the Charms of Lantau Island
- As one of the only tour companies licensed to access the restricted zone of Lantau Island, a car tour with us opens the door to this fascinating part of Hong Kong.
- Lantau Island, known as Hong Kong’s green lung, offers a unique opportunity to step back in time and explore its captivating beauty.
- Let us craft a personalised Lantau Island car tour that exceeds your expectations and creates memories to last a lifetime.
- Contact us today to embark on an unforgettable journey through the hidden treasures of Lantau Island.
Embark on an unforgettable VIP experience as we pick you up from your hotel and take you on a mesmerising 18-minute helicopter ride above the world-famous Victoria Harbour skyline, granting you panoramic views of the picturesque beaches and bays of South Hong Kong Island.
Next, we’ll journey to the majestic and vibrant Wong Tai Sin Temple. A place where you can connect with the divine and make offerings to fulfil your heart’s desires. You’ll even have the opportunity to have your palm read by skilled fortune-tellers, adding an intriguing twist to your day.
For lunch, we’ve secured a table at a two-Michelin star restaurant, three options available subject to availability.
Our adventure continues as we ride in the private cabin of the Ngong Ping cable car, treating you to breathtaking panoramic views of the countryside and the bustling Hong Kong International Airport. The journey leads us to the serene Po Lin Monastery and the iconic Big Buddha, where you can immerse yourself in the tranquility and grandeur of this sacred site.
As the day gently transitions into evening, we’ll make our way back to Hong Kong Island for an enchanting sunset cruise on a private cruiser. Savor your preferred beverages as you bask in the breathtaking panorama of Victoria Harbour, where the city’s towering skyscrapers come to life against the canvas of the setting sun. This exquisite experience serves as the perfect crescendo to a day brimming with extraordinary moments.
Please note that this tour is completely bespoke and above is a sample of what we can do during your VIP experience in Hong Kong. Feel free to customise this tour with additional elements, including the Jewish Heritage of Hong Kong.
While your ship is in port, make the most of your visit by taking a private car shore excursion around Hong Kong Island and the Kowloon Peninsula with your very own driver guide. We take all the stress out of your visit with our door-to-door service, collecting you from and returning you to your cruise ship terminal.
As well as offering comfort and convenience, we are one of the few tour companies licensed to access the restricted access zone of Lantau Island by car. Our knowledgeable and friendly guides all speak excellent English and will ensure you make the most of your time in Hong Kong.
We have a number of shore excursion car itineraries. The first is a classic Hong Kong Highlights tour taking in several better-known destinations. We often recommend this to first time visitors as it takes in many of Hong Kong’s best known and most iconic spots.
However, if you would prefer to go further off the beaten track to see another side of Hong Kong, we would recommend our Explore the New Territories tour. There are plenty of fascinating spots that are difficult to access by public transport and also tend to be a little less crowded.
Listed below are some of the options we could include in your itinerary depending on your interests and time constraints. Your itinerary is completely flexible and can be tailored to suit your needs. If you have a destination in mind that is not listed, please enquire and we will accommodate your request if possible.
Hong Kong Highlights Shore Excursion
Hong Kong Island:
- Wong Tai Sin Temple – Make a wish at Hong Kong’s most vibrant temple
- Nan Lian Garden and Chi Lin Nunnery – Enjoy a beautiful garden and tranquil retreat
- Mongkok’s Markets: Bird Garden, Flower Market, Goldfish Market, Ladies Market
You can view our tour booking page here for a shore excursion of Hong Kong and Kowloon
Lantau Island for Big Buddha & Tai O Shore Excursion
- The Big Buddha
- Po Lin Monastery
- Tai O Fishing Village
- HKZM Bridge
You can view our tour booking page here for a shore excursion of Lantau Island for Big Buddha and Tai O
Explore the New Territories on a Shore Excursion
- Sai Kung for the National Park or the seafood promenade.
- Tai Po District: Wet market, floating fishing village in Sam Mun Tsai, Tsz Shan Monastery* and Guan Yin Statue.
- Kadoorie Farm.
- Abandoned villages and fortified walled communities in Sha Tin.
- The 10, 000 Buddhas Monastery in Shatin.
- Monkey Mountain the native (and very tame) Macaques monkeys. *Please do not feed the monkeys under any circumstances.
- Jat’s Incline: An amazing panoramic view.
- Shopping at Sum Ngai Brass Factory or Yuet Tung China Works
*A visit to the Tsz Shan Monastery must be booked at least four weeks in advance.
You can view our tour booking page here for a shore excursion of the New Territories
Lantau Island is known as Hong Kong’s green lung, and you can imagine stepping back in time 50 years when you visit. Most of this stunning island is untouched and can only be accessed by public transport. I will navigate you seamlessly through the highlights in this 8 hour private tour. Highlights include, a private car transfer from your accommodation to the cable-car, skip the line access at the cable-car (I am a licensed guide and so you will avoid the long lines), the Big Buddha and Po Lin Monastery and Tai O fishing village.
I will help you to understand the meanings of the stories that make this place so special, and how the teachings weave their way into Chinese culture and society on this experience. We will arrive by cable-car via skip-the-line access and enjoy the stunning and dramatic landscapes of Lantau on the 24-minute panoramic ride. Once we arrive to the top of the mountain, we will continue by foot to explore all corners of this uniquely different part of Hong Kong. Many times travellers visit this area as a first introduction to Buddhism, let me open it up for you! There are many things to see, but not that easy understand, such as Buddha’s story, a visit to the memory palace connected to the Big Buddha statue, and the word “emptiness” in relation to the faith – perhaps the most misunderstood word in Buddhism. I can also show you a hidden place where you will be able to “speak” directly to the Buddha. These are the things that you will not learn from a guide book.
This is an in-depth look at Tai O village. This is a must-see for anyone interested in visiting the real Hong Kong. This relaxing village is one of the best preserved places on Lantau Island, indeed the whole of Hong Kong, largely owing to the efforts of the local community… and a place to just really slow down. Situated at the end of the Pearl River Delta, where it meets the South China Sea, its history and culture are intrinsically linked to its geographical location. We will take a small boat ride to view the stilted houses for a close up look at how people live in this small enclave. There is a chance to view the Hong Kong- Macau – Zhuhai bridge from the open estuary and maybe a pink dolphin or two. Then we will visit the Tai O Heritage hotel, a former colonial police station which was converted in 2013. This has a story all on its own. Finally, we will wander through the market streets, say hello to the villagers who live there, and see all the home-made produce (much of which is linked to the preservation of fish).
Read more on this unique corner of Hong Kong on our blog – Tian Tan Buddha